Application and Admission

All our programs for incoming and continuing students will take place at our Vienna campus.

Do you accept applications from students from all countries?

We recruit students internationally: applicants of all nationalities are encouraged to apply.

I completed a three-year bachelor's degree. Am I eligible to apply to your programs?

If you have a three-year bachelor’s degree, you are eligible to apply to our two-year programs as long as you have received your bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) before you enroll.

For the one-year MA in International Relations, we normally expect four years of undergraduate studies (although exceptional waivers may be granted by CEU's Provost). If you have a three-year bachelor’s degree we suggest you apply to the two-year MA in International Relations.

Does my undergraduate degree need to be in political science or international relations?

You do not necessarily have to have IR background, but according to the Austrian accreditation applicants must have a background in social sciences and humanities. 

When is the deadline for applications?

Interested candidates - applicants seeking financial aid and self-financing applicants as well - should always consult CEU main admission site for the exact deadlines:

How many programs can I apply to?

You can apply to up to 5 programs.

Can I submit a delayed application?

Applicants can submit late applications only in very exceptional cases. CEU does not usually accept late applications, so please contact us via email if you are facing this problem. Even if your late application is not accepted, you will be more than welcome to apply to our programs in the next application season.

How do I apply to multiple programs?

A user account is created when you click on the link of the first application you plan to submit. For every following application, click on the relevant application link, then log in with your existing log-in details. Please note that you will have to upload all required documents to each application, and also provide 2 (or in some cases 3) references for each application.

Do I have to pay the application fee?

The payment of the application fee is mandatory for all applicants and cannot be waived under any circumstances.The fee should be paid by bank card via the CEU online application form's CEU payment gateway (secure payment method). An application will not be processed until payment has been received and processed. For the details of payment methods please check
Please check that your card is one of those accepted; your balance and limit are properly set, and note that you have to finish the transaction in 5 minutes.

What kind of academic records shall I submit with my application?

When you submit your academic records, you must upload a scanned version of your original full Bachelor's and Master’s transcript (if applicable), as well as an official English version/translation of your full Bachelor's and Master’s transcript (if applicable) including an explanation of the grading system. An official English translation bears the stamp and signature of a sworn translator or an authorized official of the institution that has issued the original. It should contain the stamp and signature on each page or over a folded and fastened corner of the document, and include a statement of authenticity in English. You also have to provide the originals (not electronic copies) if your application is accepted.

I am in the final year of a Bachelor's/Master’s program, and I do not have a diploma/final transcript to upload yet. What shall I do?

Applicants in the process of completing a degree program must submit an interim transcript and, in place of the diploma, a certificate of enrollment confirming their student status and, if possible, stating their expected date of graduation. Please note that in order to be able to enroll at CEU, you must graduate before the academic year at CEU begins.

I have completed my Bachelor's/Master’s studies but I have not received my diploma yet. What shall I do?

Applicants having completed their degree program and having yet to receive their diploma must submit a certificate of graduation issued by their home university.

Who can write my letters of recommendation?

You must have two confidential letters of recommendation assessing your ability to conduct graduate-level work, and potential for a successful academic or professional career. The letters of recommendation must be written by faculty members or job supervisors – i.e. people most familiar with your academic and/or professional abilities and character – in English. Please note that these recommendation letters should be submitted directly to the online application system and if this is impossible they should be sent directly to the department, preferably via email. CEU does not accept letters of recommendation whose contents are known by the candidates concerned.

What are the language requirements at CEU?

Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting standardized English language test scores, e.g., the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or other substitute tests. You can find the minimum test scores required for the admission to Master's programs here:

I have completed my studies in English, what should I do to obtain a waiver of the English proficiency requirement?

Applicants should submit a certificate from the institution where they completed, or are completing their BA or MA diploma, stating that the program was completed exclusively in English. Please note that if you only studied specific subjects in English you might be required to provide official language scores. For details, please check: Please note that it is at the discretion of the department to accept these certificates.

I am a native English speaker. Do I need to submit English scores?

Applicants whose first language is English are normally exempted from this requirement. You must make this request on the application form.